Serious Fun Blog
Our Top 5 Activities in Queenstown for the Whole Family
Queenstown, New Zealand is the adventure capital of the world! It’s not just for the big kids either, many of the activities cater for actual kids too.
Here’s a fun must do list for the whole family that the kids will love, as well as mum and dad! These activities will get the kids outdoors, keep them active and give them loads to talk about! Here's our top 5 and classic river wave rating, in reverse order, drum roll please....
5. Wacky Races - Skyline Gondola and Luge Package
The Gondola and views from the top of Bob's peak are stunning + giggles all the way down, we give it 4 wicked waves!
A must for all Queenstown family visits is the Luge! Take a scenic ride in the iconic Skyline Gondola and take in the stunning views as you ride the steepest cable car lift in the Southern Hemisphere!
You’ll be carried 450 metres above Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu to the top of Bob's Peak, where you’ll enjoy a spectacular 220-degree panorama with breath-taking views of Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Walter and Cecil Peak and, of course, Queenstown.
Then take a thrilling ride enjoyed by all ages and abilities. Our purpose-built Luge carts put you in complete control as you take on over 800 metres of banked corners, tunnels and dippers. Once you’ve conquered the course, hop on the chairlift and do it all again, and again, and again.
- Minimum age: 6yrs to ride unaccompanied
- Children under the age of 6 years old or under 110cm can ride the Luge in tandem on the Blue Track, with an adult aged 15+ years at a cost of $2 per ride (Future Luge Rider).
- Price dependent on how many luge rides - buy tickets in advance to avoid Gondola queues.
- Skyline Website
4. Fly through the trees - Ziptrek EcoTours
George, George, George of the jungle watch out for that tree, we give it 4 awesome waves!
An alternative way down the Tiki Trail is to swing from the trees, jungle style! Experience the incredible Kea 6 Line tour! This stunningly beautiful guided journey through parts of native beech forest comprises of six amazing ziplines finishing with a zipline ride that descends 30 storeys at speeds of up to 70kph! Ensuring you leave as a world record breaker as you have tackled the worlds steepest tree to tree zipline. The Kea tour is truly a unique way to get down the mountain and will leaving you feeling on a natural high.
- Minimum age: 6yrs
- Check website for latest deals
- Family package from just $399 for 4
- Ziptrek Website
3. The Perfect Playground - Off Road Adventure Guided Buggy
Buckle up for a bumpy ride and let the experienced guide entertain you, we give it 4 wild waves!
Experience steep mountain climbs, creek crossings and forest tracks. Your guide will show you the necessary skills in our training area, before leading you on an adrenaline packed tour along off-road tracks and trails to some of the best views in Queenstown.
- Minimum age: 4yrs
- $419 per buggy (up to 5 passengers)
- allow 1.5 hours
- Off Road Adventures Website
2. Too cool for school - Mini person iFly Experience
Super Fun - Super Safe - Super Cool, we give it 5 super waves!
Indoor Skydiving is the most non-scary but most exhilarating experience you can do together as a family. Blow your mind and your perceptions - things will never be the same once you all experience the thrill of truly flying. There is seriously nothing that is more unique, uplifting (literally), truly thrilling and more bonding that a family could do together. Everyone leaves grinning from ear to ear, buzzing with the feeling of anything is possible.
- Minimum age: 5yrs
- Contact them directly for the best offers
- iFly website
1. Thrills for all the family - Serious Fun Riverboarding
Guaranteed adrenaline and serious fun, we give it 5 gnarly waves!
Obviously, you have to come Riverboarding on the Kawarau River, home of riversurfing, with the world's pioneering company. If you love thrills, nature and a good dose of adventure, look no further. Conquer grade 3/4 rapids on a bodyboard or sledge. Optimize the rush by surfing waves, spinning in whirlpools, playing on eddy lines and riding underwater currents in the mighty Kawarau River! Experience pristine waters, sheer drop cliffs, fast flowing rapids and wicked rock jumps that challenge your nerves.
- Riversurfing (level 3) minimum age 8
- Sledging (level 2) minimum age 12
- Under 12’s get their own 1-2-1 guide for Riversurfing
- Family package (4 people) $860 plus discount for additional members